Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Rain soaked float


About 20 years ago we were having a family reunion at my mother's place in Sanpete County Utah and we wanted to surprise her with a float in the annual Pioneer Parade. I lived in California at the time and knew that I couldn't make a float in the three short days of the reunion so I made a collapsable cardboard house that we folded up and tucked into a car top carrier. When we got to Utah we mounted this cardboard house onto a flatbed hay wagon and then my siblings helped paint it. Unfortunately July's in Utah are known for heavy afternoon thunderstorms that can soak things in a nanosecond, and then be clear the next. The little house got pummelled with rain and hail the day before the parade and it warped and looked pretty sad by the time we got to use it.

Our last name being Dahl, we made a Dahlhouse with seven windows, one for a child from each of my siblings and I. Mom rode on a rocking chair on the front porch holding one of the littlest ones and the rest of the grandkids ( a mere 20 some at that time, now grown to 45) rode on the rest of the float. It was a lot of fun and a good memory for our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment