Pages

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Hike To Kolob


This is an oil painting that I did fairly quickly one day when I was experimenting with landscape painting. I just squoze the color right out of the tube onto the canvass and then worked it together as I feathered it across. I wanted to paint a bold desert painting of our local Kolob mountains and so I went as bold and direct as I could to reflect the dramatic shadows and vivid colors of the canyon. It came together so quickly that I was surprised and pleased. It's my first real landscape so I know I have a lot of room for improvement but when I feel inspired I might try it again. it's not quirky enough for my taste but I knew my daughter in law would like it enough so I gave it to her in some odd attempt at a peace offering. I have no idea if it worked or not.

When my son (her husband) was a teenager we moved to New Harmony, Utah, just across this broad sloping valley from the Kolob side of Zion National Park. The ward there sung "If I could Hie To Kolob" in church so my son thought they were saying, "If I could Hike to Kolob", an activity we did often and enjoyed very much since it was so close.

There's a story to the whole Kolobian interplanetary travel idea but I won't go into it on an art blog. If you're interested let me know. It's funny as hell and very bizarre.

2 comments:

  1. I love this painting, Insanad. I like the clean uncluttered style and the boldness of the colors in the cliffs. It's the next best thing to being there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it was my first attempt at a landscape and I will happily make another BETTER one and give it to you. I'll try to just do half a painting so that it's not too busy, just the way you like it.

    One more year and we'll be almost THERE every day. I can hardly wait.

    ReplyDelete