Pages

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Twelve Days of Christmas Ornaments

Twenty three years ago I was pregnant with my youngest daughter Holly and was ordered to stay in bed the final three months of my pregnancy. So I gathered some craft supplies and fabrics and made 72 ornaments, including a Partridge in a Pear Tree, two Turtle Doves, three French Hens, four Calling Birds, five Golden Rings, six Geese a-laying , seven Swans-a-swimming, (all the birds were made from eggs I blew out and glued feathers to and made pipe cleaner necks, etc.) eight Maids a Milking, nine Ladies Dancing, ten Lords a Leaping, eleven Pipers Piping, and finally, twelve Drummers Drumming.

Every year we decorated our tree with these ornaments and had a party where we'd sing the song and as each verse came up our guests would take turns putting the figures on the tree. It was a lot of fun and we shared many good memories. Eventually I decided to pass these ornaments on to my daughter Holly to use with her own family traditions.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, the fond memories of these ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was pregnant with Holly I sent you clear down town in Fillmore to buy me some gluesticks. It was over a mile and you rode your bike and I remember some skuttle from a store owner about your bike being left on the sidewalk. I think about sending a six or seven yr. old out into the world now and it scares me. I let you kids do a lot of things that they don't let kids do now. When I was a little girl we walked over four miles picking up pop bottles and cans to turn in at the gas station just so we could buy a treat. I don't think our parents even considered the dangers that abounded for kids walking on the highway or roads back then. We just knew to not get in strangers cars or get too close to the road when cars came whizzing by.

    ReplyDelete