Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Hydrangea Bedroom at the Cabin

We're almost finished with the Hydrangea bedroom upstairs at the little cabin in S. Utah.  We had to start by demolishing the old closets that my son and I had built 13 years or so ago, then peeling off the old sheetrock and wiring, then tearing out the old adobe, repairing and sealing the walls, then put in new vapor barrier, insulation, and wiring, then we hired a talented Mexican man to do the final sheetrocking.

BABB did the painting and I did the decorating, including making all the curtians (the lace curtains were hand-me-downs from a friends mother who had them clear back in the 80s. I used some of them to make the lace bedskirt as well. I purchased the bedspread fabric and other complimenting fabrics from a local quilting store and then sewed the top to a duvet cover to make a really lightweight but smooth looking bedspread. 

We got the carpet as a remnant from a local shop and I paid another Latino man to install it. Then I painted the old dresser and side tables with a high gloss bright white latex paint. A friend bought the little table and chairs and I made the table cloths and cushions and then decorated with a bunch of other thrift store finds that matched the theme and gave some sculpture and detail to the room.

BABB helped me cut the latitice to size and I installed it with screws over the top of the wainscott where I'd already mounted the green leafy fabric and fabric border with a heavy duty wallpaper paste.

Not one wall is perfectly straight or level and so it made every part of this project ten times harder than new construction. It wasn't cheap either, but now that it's done and done well, I am absolutely in love with the room. We've turned it into our own very special love nest and Christened it with very high praises and beeseeching of the almighty.

No comments:

Post a Comment