Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Abstract collage



Normally I am not as skilled at abstract art but it seems to appeal to a wide audience and is actually much easier to make than the finely detailed pieces I usually do. A friend had the frames and some very primative looking stock art that came with the frames. She was tired of the images even though they emulated her color scheme. I went a slightly new direction with these using some of her bold color scheme but picking up as much torquois as I could because her dining table is made form a piece of thick shattered tempered glass and has a lot of refracted aqua colored light penetrating through. It softens the room a bit with the bright pastels but keeps to the bold theme of her home.

She uses a lot of wrought iron pieces so the shaddow stencil in a flat black helped to marry that theme. I re-used her frames, matting and backboard and just used some beautiful scrapbooking papers to complete the look and stay on a tight budget. The papers are so beautiful and layered with coordinating colors on the reverse side so I curled the ends to add a little whisper of what was behind as well as add a somewhat three dimensional quality to the work. It's sweet and flirty without being too pretentious, unless saying it isn't pretentious is pretentious.

2 comments:

  1. Normally I'm not too into abstract art, but I love the colors on these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks That Girl. Luckily the scrapbook paper did all the work for me on these. I just laid them out in a rectangle and cut them to fit then glued and curled the edges. It was some of the simplest art I've ever done and my client loved them.

    ReplyDelete