Pages

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Hobbit Hut





This is an old 8 person hot tub that was in poor shape so I decided to turn it into a Hobbit Hut in my playground side of the yard. I've scraped off all the old foam insulation and cut off the old pipes and cleaned it so that its ready to glue the artificial river stones onto it to give it a rock mountain look. I'm also going to glue various resin or ceramic knick knacks (donated by others...hint hint!) in between the rocks to give it some whimsey and funkiness that will make it fun to look at and add color.

I'll have BABB cut some various sized circular holes near the top to which I'll mount some colored glass bowls from a thrift store to create a fun bubbly sort of window of colored light glowing down inside.
 Then I'll mortar between everything to finish it off and then on the very top I'll be adding the masterpiece, the FROG!!! This is a magic kissing frog that grants your wish if you kiss him....as long as your wish is for more frog kisses.

The door will be cut from an old wood door that was upstairs of my cabin and I'll use some various products and found items to dress it up to look similar to the one pictured. I have some really old hinges that were on my cabin as well as this decorative grate from an old wood stove door that has a cool sliding contraption that will give a sort of speak-easy apparatus to the door.

I think I'll also plant virginia creeper and Hollyhock flowers around the back and base so that as they climb up and around they'll give a natural setting for the hut. Inside I plan to lay a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet and some outdoor cushions.

I'm so excited to start working on this project, as soon as the upstairs bedrooms are finished and the garden is harvested. Then the next project will be painting the bus and building my "Tribute to the Eternal God's of Laundry" clothes line (which will have scandelous underwear strung on it).

Oh yeah, I have about 20 pairs of foam flip flops so far for my "The Path to Hell-O is Paved With Flip Flops" installation. I could use some more if anyone wants to mail me their old flip flops when the season is over.

1 comment:

  1. Oh crap! I forgot to buy the hole saw for your glass bowl windows. Ooooo Ooooo more tools. I'm almost always a little skeptical when you first describe a project to me, but I'm learning that they all look terrific when they're done. I'll just sit back and watch.
    BABB

    ReplyDelete